Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hebrews 12:4-11


4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,

 

 

“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,

    and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,

6 because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,

    and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”[a]

 

7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

 

 

Dig Deeper

I was absolutely stunned.  I was in my fourth year of college and had begun to truly take my studies seriously.  I was giving every class my best effort and really had finally gained a good perspective and my need to work hard in my classes and how that was going to relate to my success in life after college.  In response to that, I was getting excellent grades, something that I could not always say during my first two years of college, or as I have come to know them, “the lazy years.”  I had just completed a paper that I had worked quite hard on and thought it was a pretty good effort.  But when my paper came back from the professor it was marked with a “B”.  I could not believe it.  Especially when I began to see the grades that my friends around me got.  Several friends, whose papers I had read, received “A’s” for doing much less work than I had done.  And to be quite frank, at the time I didn’t think their papers were as good as mine and neither did they.  So I simply could not understand why I had been given the grade that I had. 

 

My initial reaction was to feel that obviously my professor did not like me.  She had always seemed to grade me a little lower than my peers and I had shaken it off but this felt too far.  I felt that it had become apparent now and out in the light that she just preferred others in the class over me and I became convinced that she actually did not want me to succeed.  So, being the calm and collected young fellow that I was at the time, I balled the paper up and whilst staring at her the entire time, I walked over, demonstratively threw the paper in the trash, and stormed out of the class.

 

Later that night the professor called me to apologize, but not for the reason that I thought (despite the fact that I should have been the one apologizing).  She was not apologizing for having a grudge against me and grading me down.  She apologized for not explaining herself sooner.  She went on to tell me that she had indeed been grading my papers at a different standard from my peers but that it was because she saw great potential in me.  She wanted to help make me a better writer and researcher by grading my work at a graduate level rather than as the under-graduate student that I was.  Now, the fairness of that decision is not for me to discuss here, but the point is that what I thought was her lack of interest or affection towards me was actually the opposite.  She was trying to train me and make me stronger and better.

 

Certainly with all that the community of Christians in Rome (if our theory that Hebrews was written to the church in Rome is correct), we could easily understand if they were tempted to grow weary and start to think that perhaps God didn’t care about or love them.  Why else would he allow them to be constantly thrown into prisons, have their property confiscated, lose their positions in society, be ostracized, and see so many of their number walk away?  Surely they had been taught that the world had persecuted Jesus and it would do the same to his people, but the strength of that conviction had grown fuzzy over the years.  The realities and harshness of their life in Christ had begun to wear them down.

 

This is one of the reasons that they needed to keep their eyes fixed on Jesus.  Jesus was, of course, the perfect Son of God but he also knows what it’s like.  He can serve as an example for those that are going through trials because he has been there.  He faced up to the worst persecution that Satan and the world can offer and he remained faithful to the will of God.  He had suffered trials and persecution at the hands of sinful people just as they had.  They could draw strength and encouragement from the fact that he had endured faithfully and the outcome was positive.  Yes, Jesus suffered but there was no question that he was God’s beloved son.  Not only could they identify with Jesus’ suffering, they could also take heart in the fact that, although severe, there struggles were not on the level of what Jesus endured.  They had yet to shed their own blood and die, although the author doesn’t remove the possibility that that might take place one day.

 

In verses 5-6 the author quotes from Proverbs 3 and offers a mild rebuke for them in the process.  Had they forgotten the comforting and encouraging rebuke from the Proverbs?  Had they failed to apply that principle to their lives when they most needed it?  The Lord disciplines those he loves and considers as his children.  That was true of Jesus, whom we have already been told in 5:8, learned the fullness of being obedient to God’s will only by enduring through suffering (not in the sense of learning something that he did not know but in the sense of experiencing something that can only be fully experienced through a specific element—thus, Jesus could only discover complete obedience as a human to doing God’s will by doing so through suffering).  Their suffering was not a sign of God’s displeasure or lack of concern.  Rather they should understand that God was allowing them to be trained to bring them to full maturity (James 1:2-3).  God was treating them as any loving father would.

 

If you were to go a public place and see a child running completely amok and the adult that was accompanying them doing nothing about it, you might start to wonder if the parent was an abysmally poor parent, or perhaps he was not the child’s father at all.  This is why Proverbs 13:24 urges us to remember that the one who neglects discipline does not truly love their child in the full sense of the word.  Fathers who care about their children, their own lives, and society at large will discipline and train their children.  They will allow difficult circumstances and obstacles to come into the life of their child so that they can learn to overcome those things.

 

The proper response to hardship is not to see it as punishment or abandonment, but to see at as the loving actions of a loving Father.  The Lord does not directly discipline and train those that are not his children.  Knowing that God has a purpose in the trials that we go through are what change sheer grief into pure joy in the same way that knowing that an incredibly challenging workout is making us stronger and more fit changes the experience from a torturous one to something that we can enjoy in a strange sort of way.  It is the knowledge of the purpose of the pain that changes everything. 

 

Even human fathers that everyone respects know that they must bring or allow hardship into their children’s lives.  God is the ultimate Father and he certainly knows that.  The reality is that children who never suffer loss, hardship, or trial become incredibly lazy, spoiled, and immature.  As God’s children we might be tempted to desire that nothing but blessing and goodness come into our lives (and some have made a great deal of money and fame for themselves claiming that this is what God wants for us too), but we have to realize just how truly counter-productive and dangerous spiritually that would actually be.  If we never faced trial how would we grow?  Growth is born through adversity.  Our goal as Christians is not to “make it to heaven” and avoid the most amount of struggle that we possibly can in the process.  Our goal as a Christian is to become like Christ.  That takes growth, training, and discipline and those things can only come through trial, struggle, and persecution. 

 

It is through the fire that we will learn Christ-like obedience.  That is why Hebrews asserts that God trains us for our own good.  It’s not because he is inattentive.  It’s quite the opposite, in fact.  God trains us in “order that we may share in his holiness.”  When we go through hardships and struggles, perhaps rather than asking “why, God,” we should ask what God is trying to teach us.  God knows what we need to go through and learn and when the storms come (the storms that we create for ourselves through sin and disobedience are another matter entirely) we can be comforted with the knowledge that God knows that the refinement that we will receive from that trial is better for us than if we went through no trial at all.

 

Now that doesn’t mean that we can simply change our mindset and suddenly everything will become rose pedals and ginger snaps.  Trials are still hard, and challenging, and painful.  They will test our faith, our resolve, and our endurance.  That’s the whole point.  It is only when we are weak and persevere that we gain strength.  These times of discipline will not be pleasant, but we can count them as joy, as James 1 says, because we know that God is at work.  The trial is not bigger than God.  The pain is not bigger than the lesson.  And nothing is bigger than God’s love for his sons and daughters.

 

 

Devotional Thought

What struggles or trials are you going through in your life right now?  Have been tempted to be angry at God for allowing them and wonder why he would do such a thing?  Or have you taken some time to contemplate what might be trying to teach you through these circumstances?

No comments: